Monday 28 March 2011

My slight obsession with other peoples lives

I don't know what it is about blogs that fascinates me so much, but I am a regular visitor to several. My favourites vary in content from professional blogs by professional bloggers (Cakewrecks and Hyperbole and a Half are, in my opinion, two of the best) to more personal blogs that I've stumbled across. 
Although I enjoy reading the two aforementioned blogs it's the personal ones that intrigue me most.


 I love the illicit thrill of finding out about a strangers life, its almost like being a spy. I find myself utterly caught up in other peoples stories, I enjoy reading about them going shopping or the fact their baby can roll over or that they've just learnt to cook a new meal. In some respects they are more interesting than many television soaps because they are real. The people in them actually exist somewhere. They are living breathing entities that I will never meet, yet I know minute details about them such as the shade of cream they've just painted their living room. I find this utterly phenomenal. 


I wonder what the writers would say if they knew how much interest I take in their lives. I do feel a little like a stalker sometimes. I'm always reticent to comment on them because I worry what they would think about a teenager from England commenting on their lives a thousand miles away. I know how absurd this is because I really hope someone out there would find my life interesting enough to comment(please!) but I can't shake off the feeling that I'm a little bit of a creep for being so interested. 


I guess it's the same reason that, as an adult, I still indulge in playing on Sims occasionally. I like other peoples lives, I love they way everything fits together, how a family is still a family whether in another culture or even virtual. I take some comfort in that. Of course it's probably just because I'm nosey...

No comments:

Post a Comment